Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Its a Broody life

Hi Everyone,

Hope I didn't get your hopes up too much by changing the Blog photo!  Thought a nice change would be good.

Lots going on here at the farm in way of Chicken news.  I've got three new chicks, all hatched out
last week, and the little darlings are already starting to 'feather' out.  I think they need to since the weather has been so darn miserable the past few days!  These babies are from Lost the rescue rooster and probably Missy, Pharoh and Squab. Its so nice to have a rooster that works again! I think I will get some really nice colours in the next few years.
Clone and her first chick to hatch this year (still nameless)

Large yellow chick (not yet named)
Last Saturday the family took a drive into Princeton (ON not BC) to pick up some Silver Lace Wyndotte eggs, as I have two bantam hens ready to be mothers. Both hens are sitting on 6 eggs each, plus Mother Hubbard is sitting on two bantam eggs, so hopefully I will have a large hatch this spring.
(Large for us anyway)

Cheap sitting on her eggs (only has six)

Mother Hubbard sitting on 8 eggs
 Luckily neither Bantam will try and take your fingers off your hand, just some
gentle feather ruffles and screeching and the odd sad little peck.
I will keep you updated on how all this goes.
thanks for visiting
Barbara

2 comments:

  1. Those chickens are cute! Did you name the one yet?
    I changed my blog back to the old status, there is a button on the top right!! I found this info somewhere and it worked for me! See you soon, love your blog, Anja

    ReplyDelete