Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy Critters!

One thing I like about farm animals is how much you can hear how much they apprecitae what you do for them...

Like today.....

It was rather nice out this morning -

-so instead of my usual, I decided to clean the 'Barn" (aka driveshed) out.

This first involved turning the water back on for outside. Then I began hosing out all the water containters that normally don't get as clean as regularly during the winter. I cleaned the chicken bowls, the duck bucket and washed the duck outside water hole. (that was pretty mucky and dirty).

The quackers celbrated by talking to each other, washing their faces in the pond and splashing about.

The whole time I was in the driveshed the chickens were happily clucking and squaking away, in anticipation.....

 "Ooooohhhhhhhh - What's she going to do nexxxtttt". ........." Ohhhhhhh... this is so grrreeaaatttt."

I moved my little broody banty "Clone" from the Moe Coop to a dog crate so she can set in peace. You see she is a lowbird on the totem pole and needs some quiet time. She's currently sitting on about 5 eggs, all Rhode Island Red X and Leghorn X.  She's a happy camper now that she's had a good feed and drink &  left alone to set on her nest with an egg stone trance to her face.  See what we get in about 21 days!

The next thing to do was put some frozen meat in the suet feeders and hang them in the chicken coops. Ymmmm!  I  scooped out some peat moss and dirt mix for the hens to roll in - all the while they are clucking and prancing about what is happening - its amazing how easy it is to keep them happy.  Then I threw some corn in the coops and Bob's your Uncle! Job done!  (and I do have an Uncle Bob!)

All this time, Lily our newest Girl (see -  it was a dog related story afterall :-)) learned how to keep the birds in the coops by standing by the doors, watching and nicely moving my new found Roo back into his Toe Egg Coop.  She helped clean up dropped chicken poop, corn and layer pellets off the floor (like she needs help with learning that one) and helped me move the ducks when I cleaned out their pond. She followed me around

- three steps behind me
-like a good English Shepherd.

...and got in the way....

 - like a good English Shepherd does ....

...and also learned about 'get outta the way' a little more today. ;-)

Have a great Friday - we certain are!

Barb


No comments:

Post a Comment